● Preheat oven to 325 F.
● Rehydrate porcinis in 3⁄4 c boiling water in a small bowl, set aside
● In a large skillet, melt butter and oil together until foaming subsides. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté until they release their juices. Add Barden Pinot Noir and let wine reduce by half. Add thyme, rehydrated porcinis and their liquid and simmer until sauce reduces and glazes the mushrooms, about 10-12 minutes
● Season duck breast with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a separate dry skillet over medium low heat and place the duck breast in, skin side down. Allow fat to render until skin begins to brown and crisp, 7-8 minutes.
● Flip duck over in pan and place in the oven to finish cooking, 5-7 minutes more depending on desired doneness. Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
● To serve, spoon fricassee on the plate and fan sliced duck breast over the top. For an added flourish, you can drizzle a high quality, fruity olive oil over the top.
Contributed by: Doug Margerum
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and about all things Margerum.